River Born, Culture Fed
The Kerrville Urban Trail System (KUTS) is a grassroots effort among Kerrville businesses, inviduals, orgnizations, and City leadership. KUTS is a non-profit organization that promotes walkability and community vibrancy and cohesion among businesses and people through a system of independent walking/biking trails districts throughout Kerrville.
KUTS Public Art Mural Project is dedicated to fostering community collaborations and partnerships. Establishing a visual public presence with a mural demonstrates our commitment to renewal and growth in our neighborhoods.
Artist Eligibility: Any professional artist or team of artists interested in creating a two dimensional mural. Please complete a proposal in accordance with the guidelines provided below.
· Create a piece of public art for an outdoor environment that inspires thought and wonder.
· Conveys a specific idea to honor the craft of Storytelling, and the critical function that Storytellers and local newspapers provide for the communities they serve.
· Demonstrate artistic excellence while completing this project on time and within budget.
· Provides photo opportunity for visitors and locals to help develop and preserve a positive memory of their experience in Kerrville through a tangible image.
· Transforms this roadside space into an art form; increasing public awareness of art, and broadening visitors’ perspectives of public spaces within the City.
Location: Located at 429 Jefferson Street Kerrville, Texas 78028 at the Kerrville Daily Times newspaper building. The building is located at the intersection of Jefferson and Quinlan streets.
This installation includes four mobile panels, provided by others, to be studio-created and installed on the Jefferson Street exterior wall. Approximate sizing of each wood panel is 4’X8.
Concept: Before written history, culture was maintained from generation to generation through the art of Storytelling. Even in modern times, the Storyteller plays a critical role in defining the culture of a community, then preserving it through their craft. Newspapers often serve a Storytelling role for their communities.
The goal of the Mural Project is not to confine creative endeavors into rigidly defined parameters, but to provide a meaningful and connective medium for the community of Kerrville. Content on the four panels can be independent of each other or connected across some or all the panels. Kerrville has a rich cultural, geographical, historical, and ecological Story, so concepts may range as wide as the artists’ imaginations.
Budget: Materials and supplies will be provided, along with an artist stipend. This project is facilitated by the Kerrville Urban Trail System (KUTS, www.kerrvilleurbantrailsystem.org).
· A narrative and color design illustrating the concept is required for each submission. Include supplemental information such as medium and timeline for completion.
· All components must be in digital format.
· A project budget is required. The budget is inclusive of all costs associated with the design, planning, fabrication, installation, and completion of the project.
· Digital images of previously completed artwork. Include date, size, location, and description of work.
· Resume or short paragraph detailing artistic accomplishments from past projects.
· The submission deadline is October 15, 2021. Please email all required information to email@example.com
Selection Information: The Art Committee of KUTS will select an artist or artist team for this project based on the application materials.
Policies: Artists will retain the ownership of design ideas submitted with this application until a selection has been made and contract signed between the artist and KUTS. At the time a contract is awarded, the ownership of the design and the artwork produced, in this case the public art mural project, will become the property of the KUTS.
All questions regarding this request are to be directed to Jeremy Walther – firstname.lastname@example.org
Dimensions of the exterior wall are approximately 55 feet by 15 feet; the surface is pebble dash. For safety the four 4 X 8 mobile mural panels will professionally installed by a 3rd party contractor, not the artist.
Copyright © 2021 Kerrville Urban Trail System - All Rights Reserved.